A missing poster of Abigail Hernandez
Abigail "Abby" Hernandez, the New Hampshire teen who returned home
last week after disappearing in October, sat in the front row of a courtroom on Tuesday as her accused kidnapper
, Nathaniel Kibby, appeared before a judge.
Kibby, 34, did not enter a plea and the judge ordered him held on $1 million bail as police continued to search the man's Gorham, New Hampshire, trailer home.
Attorney General Joseph Foster said Monday that Kibby was arrested after Abby, now 15, provided police with details of her kidnapping nine months ago as she was walking home from school.
A shipping container in the yard of Kibby's home was surrounded by yellow crime-scene tape, and WMUR reports
that neighbors are concerned that the container, which was described as an above-ground bunker, was where Abby was held.
"He's been called crazy Nate," neighbor Debbie Demers told NECN about Kibby. "He's pretty much a loner, but I always told the girls to stay away from that trailer."
Demers added that the shipping container is soundproof and that Kibby had "a little shooting range back there."
In an interview with Today
on Monday, Abby's mother, Zenya, denied rumors that her daughter ran away because she was pregnant.
"She was not. She did not run away," she said, adding that she doesn't believe her daughter knew her alleged abductor.
In a statement on the Bring Abby Home
Facebook page on Monday, Abby said that she wished she could personally thank everyone who looked for her. "My gratitude is beyond words. It's an incredible feeling to be home and I believe in my heart that your hopes and prayers played a major role in my release. Thank you all for the welcome home."