Jury Finds Former Oklahoma Deputy Guilty of Killing Unarmed Man Who Allegedly Fled During Sting Operation

Bob Bates: Jury Finds Former Oklahoma Deputy Guilty of Killing Unarmed Man
Bob Bates
Tulsa Sheriff's Office

04/28/2016 AT 01:35 PM EDT

A former Oklahoma sheriff's deputy has been convicted of second degree manslaughter shooting and killing an unarmed man during a 2015 sting operation, PEOPLE confirms.

Bob Bates, 73, was an insurance executive moonlighting as a reserve deputy for the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office last year.

Bates, claimed he meant to use his Taser stun gun, not his revolver, on Harris, who had been tackled to the ground by officers. The incident was caught on video.

The incident took place during a sting organized by the sheriff's office that was trying to buy illegal firearms from Harris. Harris allegedly tried to flee the scene. In the video, Bates can be heard shouting, "Taser! Taser!" before firing his revolver once, hitting Harris.

Bates quickly realized that he had used his gun instead of his taser: "Oh, I shot him. I'm sorry!" Bates says in the video.

The jury took less three hours to deliberate and recommended Bates serve the maximum possible sentence of four years in state prison, a Tulsa County Court Clerk official confirms to PEOPLE.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Last year, the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office defended Bates, alleging that Harris had a history of violence against police.

"[Bates] made an error," Sheriff Stanley Glanz told the Tulsa World. "How many errors are made in an operating room every week?"

Bates will appear in court May 31 for sentencing.
blog comments powered by Disqus

From Our Partners