Céline Dion Says People Told Her to 'Think Twice' Before Vegas Residency – But She's Glad She Didn't Listen

‘TAKING CHANCES’: Some of the biggest stars are taking up residencies in Las Vegas and their fans are following them. Celine Dion started that trend in 2003 and since then many stars have followed. NBC’s Joe Fryer sat down with Celine to talk about her game-changing move. More tonight #NBCNightlyNews

Posted by NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt on Saturday, July 18, 2015
"

07/21/2015 AT 01:25 PM EDT

When Céline Dion began her Caesar's Palace residency, many people thought agreeing to the long-term gig was a Titanic-size mistake.

"A lot of people, especially in the industry, they thought that it was a very, very high risk," Dion, 47, tells NBC News for an interview airing Tuesday evening. "Finishing my career here, it was the end of my career. I remember hearing that 'the boat is going to sink again.' "

But audiences flocked to see Dion's first Sin City show when it opened in 2003 – raking in more than $400 million, per Variety, before it closed in December 2007. The crowds returned for her second Caesar's Palace residency when it opened in 2011, and they remained until she announced last year that she was taking a break due to husband René Angélil's ongoing health issues.

Now, as she plans to return to The Colosseum for the first time in a year, she says she's happy she never listened to the haters.



"You take chances and you go for it, and you know what, I'm more than glad that we did it," says Dion, who paved the way for other singers, including Britney Spears, Shania Twain, Mariah Carey and Jennifer Lopez, to have their own residencies.

In May, Dion told reporters her husband – who has served as her manager since she was a teen – was instrumental in her decision to return to the stage.

"He wants me strong. He wants to see me again because I'm his favorite singer," she said. "So, he wants me out there, and I have to say that I'm ready."

RELATED VIDEO: Go Behind the Scenes of Céline Dion's PEOPLE Shoot


Dion also said at the time that her husband "is working really hard on his health," which included throat cancer surgery last year, and indicated that seeing her onstage is a part of his healing process.

Dion's Las Vegas show return to Caesar's Palace on Aug. 27.
MORE ON: Céline Dion
blog comments powered by Disqus

From Our Partners