Dr. Dre Speaks Out on Suge Knight Charges: 'Maybe He Was Looking For Trouble'

Dre Speaks Out on Suge Knight Charges
From left: Ice Cube, Suge Knight and Dr. Dre
Getty (3)

07/22/2015 AT 05:30 PM EDT

Dr. Dre is speaking out for the first time about the fatal hit-and-run in Los Angeles earlier this year that left one man dead and Marion "Suge" Knight in jail facing murder and attempted murder charges.

"I was there. But I was just leaving, so I didn't know what happened until I was halfway home," the iconic rapper and music producer told The Hollywood Reporter. "I heard about it over the phone. Everybody was supportive everywhere we went, and we didn't have one issue throughout the entire filming of the movie. It's crazy that this happened during the f---ing filming of the commercial."

Dre is being sued by the family of Terry Carter, the 55-year-old man who died on Jan. 29, 2015, in Compton, California, allegedly after Knight, 49, struck him with his truck. Knight claims he was attempting to flee to safety after being attacked by two crew members.

"It's just a really unfortunate incident," said Dre. "Maybe [Knight] was looking for trouble. I don't know."

Ice Cube also spoke of the incident: "It's the dangerous part of living in South Central," he said. "Some people don't care if you're making a movie or not. It's unfortunate because the movie is so good, so creative, so many talented people involved."



Ice Cube, Universal Pictures and Cle "Bone" Sloan – who was hit and injured in the incident – were also served with the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Carter's family.

The suit, which was obtained by PEOPLE, claims that the set of the NWA biopic, Straight Outta Compton, took place in areas known for gang activity, and created a dangerous situation that led to Carter's death.

Knight is currently being held on $25 million bail while awaiting trail.
blog comments powered by Disqus

From Our Partners