08/10/2015 AT 04:30 PM EDT
dominates. This cannot be argued.
She's won three Oscars and has been nominated for 16 more. She can do heartbreaking drama. She can do comedy. She can sing. And she played one of the most iconically tough-to-impress badasses in the history of movies in The Devil Wears Prada
This weekend, she showed audiences that she can also pull off a fairly un-Meryl role: in Ricki and the Flash
as an aging rocker mom who's not especially maternal (and that's a rarity in American cinema) and who, at 66, still looks good in leather.
Streep has been the "actress's actress" for so long that a lot of us probably can't remember a time when she wasn't the go-to example of a classy, versatile performer whose any given performance could score an award. In fact, this writer's introduction to Streep's reputation as an Oscar nomination magnet came all the way back in 1990, when an episode of Tiny Toons
had a gag about Meryl Streep being nominated for ordering a pizza in a restaurant.
(She wins, of course, then she yawns and tosses the statuette in a purse that's crammed full of them.)
Twenty-five years later, Streep is still on top. And just as she's a versatile actress, she's also quite versatile in GIF form. In fact, for any occasion, there's a Streep GIF that can get your point across while still conveying her awesomeness.
1. For when the ineptitude of others almost makes you lose your composure
2. For shutting others down while still looking beatific
3. For showing that people with high standards can still appreciate a good joke
4. For dramatic crying
5. For giddy sexytimes
6. For general enthusiasm
7. For subtle enthusiasm
Meryl Streep's Changing Looks!
8. For flawless hair flips
9. For emphatic agreement
10. For conniving
11. For periods of utter hopelessness
12. For when things get ugly but, you know, that special kind of "pretty ugly"
13. For "pretty ugly", part two
14. For impeccably dramatic exits
15. For impeccably dramatic final exits
16. For restrained satisfaction at your own success
17. For when you realize that others just aren't up to your standards
18. For threatening elegance
19. For ribaldry in the face of people who need to lighten up
20. For when you have to tolerate those who would bring you down
21. For expressions of love, even when they come from an awkward place
22. For sheer horror and/or gloves that smell nice
23. For when you need to express confusion in an elegant fashion
24. For when you need to assert authority in the workplace
25. For outrage when others reveal their déclassé nature
26. For looking good, in general
27. For when you're just completely over it
28. For whatever
29. For modesty when others acknowledge that you are impossibly perfect
30. And finally, for when you just own it