Peaches Geldof Died of Heroin Overdose: Coroner
07/23/2014 AT 07:00 AM EDT
Geldof, who was pronounced dead by paramedics at her home in southeast England on April 7, was addicted to the drug and took the substitute drug methadone for 2½ years before her death, according to the coroner.
The BBC also reported that a police search yielded 6.9 grams of heroin in Geldof's home but no evidence that she planned to commit suicide. Pathologist Peter Jerreat said that Geldof had puncture wounds on her wrists and thumbs.
In addition, traces of codeine, methadone and morphine were also found in her system, said Jerreat, who termed the levels of heroin in her body as being in a "fatal range."
Geldof, the daughter of British rocker and Live Aid organizer Sir Bob Geldof, was married to musician Tom Cohen, had two young sons and worked as a broadcaster and fashion writer. She said in 2009 that her drug-taking years were behind her.
Her mother, Paula Yates, died of a heroin overdose at the age of 41.