Prosecutor Won't Charge Bill Cosby in Alleged Playboy Mansion Assault
01/06/2016 AT 06:40 PM EST
Additionally, the prosecutor declined to bring charges in a second woman's claims that she was drugged and raped in 1965 by Cosby when she was 17, saying the statute of limitations had expired.
"We are satisfied that the Los Angeles DA's Office fully and fairly evaluated all the facts and evidence, and came to the right conclusion," says a statement from Cosby's attorney obtained by PEOPLE.
At the same time, Cosby's legal team also welcomed a California appeals court ruling that Janice Dickinson, who has filed a defamation suit against Cosby for denying that he sexually assaulted her, has no right to force Cosby to give a deposition in her case.
"We are pleased that the legal issues we brought to the Court of Appeal were fairly heard and ruled upon in our favor," Cosby's attorneys said.
In the alleged Playboy Mansion incident, Chloe Goins, 25, is still pursuing a federal civil lawsuit. Goins alleges that as an 18-year-old attending a party at the mansion, she was given a drink by Cosby and then immediately felt dizzy and sick to her stomach, after which Cosby escorted her to a room. Her suit claims she awoke with her clothes off to find Cosby biting on one of her toes, and with her breasts "wet and sticky, as if someone had been licking them."
Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
However, investigators who reviewed exterior video footage of the Aug. 9, 2008 party at the mansion could find no images of either Goins or Cosby, and further found evidence that Cosby was in New York on the weekend of the event, according to the prosecutor's office.
"They also reviewed guest lists of 56 documented events at the Playboy Mansion in 2008. [Cosby] did not appear on any guests lists for events held that summer. His name only showed up on a guest list for one event in February," the prosecutor's office states.
While looking further for signs of potential felony sex offenses committed by Cosby against Goins that still would fall within the statute of limitations, they again came up empty.
"Consequently," the prosecutor's office concluded, "after evaluating all potential charges, there is insufficient evidence to prove these crimes beyond a reasonable doubt."
The decision still leaves Cosby to face a criminal charge of aggravated indecent assault brought Dec. 30, 2015, in Pennsylvania, involving allegations raised by Andrea Constand that he drugged and sexually assaulted her at his Elkins Park, Pennsylvania home in January 2004.
Cosby and his representatives have denied all allegations against him.