Toddler Rescued by Dad Dies After He Follows Him Back into Burning Home
08/11/2015 AT 10:30 PM EDT
The fire in Sharon, Pennsylvania, began a little after 11 p.m. on Monday when a candle the family had lit during a power outage got knocked over and the couch caught on fire.
Terry Thomas carried his son Layden outside and "put him on the porch, and went back in for the mother, an infant and a 5-year-old," Lt. Mark Johnson told WTAE.
The rest of the family escaped the fire but Layden was discovered under a bed and is believed to have died of smoke inhalation.
"I was outside with my newborn baby and my oldest daughter, and she was running across to the neighbor's house, and Layden was right by my feet, and I'm trying to call the police while I take care of them, and I just glanced away for a second and he ran back in the house," Layden's mother, Brittany Smith, told WTAE.
"It's unimaginable … I did my best, I got him to safety," Thomas told KDKA. "I've seen things happen, but I never thought it'd hit this close to home."