Texas 13-Year-Old Wakes Up to Smoldering Cell Phone Under Her Pillow

07/29/2014 11:55AM

Thirteen-year old Texan Ariel Tolfree is, as most teens are, a fan of her cell phone – to the point where she sleeps with it under her pillow at night. (Perhaps with the expectation that a Phone Fairy will replace her Samsung Galaxy S4 with an iPhone 5s?)

However, it's a habit she's now abandoning after one fateful night.

Tolfree told Dallas-Fort Worth Fox affiliate KDFW that she woke up one night to the smell of something burning. "I didn't think much of it, so I went back to sleep, and then I woke up again and it was more prominent."

"The whole phone melted," her father, Thomas, added. "The plastic, the glass. You can't even really tell that it was a phone."



The family contacted the news, and then Samsung, who pointed out that the battery inside the phone was in fact a replacement and not an original Samsung unit. They also pointed out that the phone's user guide advises against such an action, noting that covering a device with bedding or other material can restrict airflow and start a fire.

The Tolfrees, though, did not read that warning. (And let's be honest – when's the last time you read through the complete instructions to any electronic device you purchased?) "If anything, they should put a big warning on it, like a cigarette label, if that's the case," Thomas said.

Samsung has requested the burnt phone be sent to them for a post-mortem, and they are providing the Tolfrees with a replacement device, as well as fresh bedding and a new mattress and pillow.

Looks like the Phone Fairy came after all.


Texas 13-Year-Old Wakes Up to Smoldering Cell Phone Under Her Pillow| Around the Web

Marisol Hernandez, mother of Rubi Rubio

Share this story:

Your reaction:

blog comments powered by Disqus
advertisement

From Our Partners

From Our Partners