Seattle School Shooting Hero Jon Meis Asks for Donations to Go to Survivors
06/12/2014 AT 03:00 PM EDT
Within 24 hours Meis and fiancée Kaylie Sparks's wedding registries at Target and Crate & Barrel had been fulfilled by strangers inspired by his courage, KIRO TV reports.
Still eager to reward the 22-year-old for his bravery, ESPN Seattle producer Jessamyn McIntyre created a GoFundMe site to help pay for their honeymoon and any other newlywed expenses.
The fund is now at more than $50,000, and a grateful Meis, who has declined media interviews but issued a statement earlier this week, has asked that future donations go to a fund for the shooting survivors.
"I am overwhelmed with the incredible generosity that has been showered upon me," Meis said in the statement.
Meis, a senior at Seattle Pacific University, pepper-sprayed then disarmed and tackled gunman Aaron Ybarra, 26, after he killed one person and wounded two others in Seattle Pacific University's Otto Miller Hall on June 5.
Ybarra is being held without bail and has been charged with one count of murder and two of attempted murder.
One victim was released from the hospital over the weekend and is at home, while the other remains in Harborview Medical Center for treatment, Tracey Norlen, SPU manager of public communications, tells PEOPLE.
In true hero fashion, Meis denies that he is one.
"I know that I am being hailed as a hero," he said, "and as many people have suggested I find this hard to accept."
Nonetheless, he added, "It touches me truly and deeply to read online that parents are telling their children about me and telling them that real heroes do exist."