The bittersweet story of two star-crossed teens struggling with the emotional complications of growing up sick, The Fault in Our Stars is a film that surely requires a box of tissues close by. Add in Woodley's Divergent brother, Ansel Elgort, as the actress's on-screen love interest Augustus, and you have one of the most buzzed-about movies of the season.
While Hazel's tale is sure to bring on the water works, Woodley's Fault in Our Stars confessions left us smiling. From kissing siblings to popcorn obsessions, get all the quirky details below.
1. Popcorn is an important part of her food pyramid"The thing with an emotional movie like this is sometimes you have to go home and make popcorn," said Woodley of dealing with the film's heavy content. "I make popcorn every night, it's just a weird ritual. It's just the best thing on the planet. I'm made of popcorn, maybe."
2. The Fault in Our Stars impacted Woodley before she even auditioned"It changed my life and I realized, after the book, two things," the actress confessed. "One, I was incredibly depressed that Augustus Waters did not exist in real life, and two, I found myself totally perplexed and completely moved by the fact that one of my new greatest role models was a fictional character, Hazel."
3. Her love scene with Ansel Elgort is her favorite moment of the movieElgort is dreamy, but Woodley's reason for picking the scene isn't just about his looks.
"It's very different than most love scenes in young adult films. It's treated with integrity. Often times our society looks at teenagers and sort of discredits their love like, 'Oh, it's cute. It's puppy love. They don't know what real love is.' And you look at adults and you go, 'Are you actually happy? Is this real love?'"
4. She stole something from the setElgort admitted to swiping a few packs of the phony cigarettes used in the film after the movie wrapped. As for Woodley: "I took one of Gus's [Elgort] shirts."
5. Kissing her Divergent brother wasn't awkward at allThe 22-year-old said playing Elgort's sister in their previous film didn't hurt; it actually helped their on-screen chemistry.
"I've always wondered what it would be like kissing my brother," Woodley joked before getting serious. "There's something really beautiful about working with someone again, and again, and again because the more you get to know somebody on a personal level the more free you feel artistically. I think that if Ansel and I hadn't known each other from Divergent, our relationship in this movie would not be what it is."
6. Her favorite The Fault in Our Stars quote is ...When asked her favorite line from The Fault in Our Stars, she quickly responded, "My absolute favorite is, 'I fell in love with him the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.'"
7. Co-star Elgort is an inspiration"Every single day [Ansel] looks at the world with a new set of eyes. He is the most creative person I've ever met," Woodley gushed. "This dude is a producer. He paints miniatures and wins contests painting miniatures, which is insane. He's a ballet dancer. He is literally the most creative person."
Splash News Online