Slender Man Creator Speaks Out After Wisconsin Stabbing

Slender Man Creator Eric Knudsen Speaks Out After Wisconsin Stabbing
A depiction of Slender Man
Mike Langguth

updated 06/04/2014 at 06:20 PM EDT

originally published 06/04/2014 07:25PM

The creator of an Internet character that allegedly inspired two 12-year-old girls to stab their friend 19 times has issued a statement.

"I am deeply saddened by the tragedy in Wisconsin and my heart goes out to the families of those affected by this terrible act," says Eric Knudsen, according to NBC News.

Morgan Geyser and Anissa Weier – who were charged as adults with attempted murder in Waukesha, Wisconsin, on Monday – told police that they had plotted to kill their friend for months so that they could become "proxies" for Slender Man, a character that Knudsen created online in 2009.

Knudsen, a 33-year-old who lives in Florida with his wife and toddler, came up with the character for a thread called "create paranormal images" on the website Something Awful.

The character was soon co-opted by people who created a folklore around the ghostlike figure and made it the focus of online fan fiction and scary YouTube videos.

"I liked the concept of a monster, a creature that causes general unease and terror," Knudsen said in a podcast interview earlier this year.

Additional reporting by CAITLIN KEATING

Share this story:

Your reaction:

blog comments powered by Disqus
advertisement

From Our Partners

From Our Partners