Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM EW: Psylocke vs. Deadpool! Watch Olivia Munn Take On Ryan Reynolds in Cheeky Sword Match
- Read the Cover Story: Amy Duggar King: I'm Doing It My Way
- Boy, 11, Found Guilty of Murdering 8-Year-Old Girl Who Wouldn't Show Him Her Puppies
- PHOTOS: See What Game Day Snacks the Stars Ate on Super Bowl Sunday
- Kate Hudson's Top Tips for Getting in the Best Shape Ever
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 04, 1992
- Vol. 37
- No. 17
Except, that is, when the camera's rolling. Her urbane parents, both physicians, were sent to re-education camps during China's Cultural Revolution, but Chen was nonetheless selected by the state at 14 to train as an actress. Although she "always played a country girl," she quickly became one of the country's top box office draws. In 1981, at age 20, Chen was permitted to leave China and ended up a film production major at California State University, Northridge. A part in the 1986 turkey Tai-Pan led to her portrayal of The Last Emperor's drug-addicted empress. Newly married to second husband Peter Hui, 35, a San Francisco cardiologist, she now splits her time between the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Chen says that "for an Asian to be successful in this industry is very difficult—there isn't an empress in every film. But people are coming to me with creative offers." As well they should. Lynch, who recently finished directing her in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, this summer's big-screen prequel to his ABC series, says of Chen: "She's the best thing from China since pasta—and much more beautiful."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!