Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Apple CEO Tim Cook's Op-Ed Blasting Indiana's Religious Freedom Act
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- California College Student Goes Missing After Party
- KUWTK: Kanye West Lashes Out at Kim Kardashian's Trainer for Saying She Can't Lose 15 Lbs.
- Hilary Duff Reveals Her Surprising Blue Hair Inspiration, Says Her 12 Tattoos Make Her Gangster and More
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 22, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 15
Born to Be Wild
Hank Williams III Walks the Hard-Living Path of His Forebears, Hanks I and II
Known as Hank Williams III, the 29-year-old country-music blue blood is the grandson of legendary crooner Hank Williams and son of redneck icon Hank Jr. Tattooed and rail-thin, with a taste for hard-driving honky-tonk tunes, Hank III looks, sounds—and acts—most like his granddad, who died of a morphine overdose at 29. "I've got an addictive personality," says Williams, whose second solo album, Lovesick, Broke & Driftin', has earned critical raves.
But some ties are not binding. The Nashville native says he hasn't seen his father in nearly three years. "They are both stubborn and have hurts," says his mother, Gwen Yeargain Williams, 54, a formal-wear shop manager, who raised her only child alone after she and Hank Jr. divorced in 1977. At age 15, Hank III started playing in punk-rock bands, but switched to country music—and the Hank III moniker—five years later, when he learned he had a 3-year-old son from a one-night stand and had to pay child support.
Although Williams—who lives with his girlfriend, Melissa Miller, 28, in Nashville—was correct in thinking his illustrious lineage would open doors, success, he says, was up to him. "The true Hank III fans," he says, "want me to be me."
March 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!