Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sperm Donor Who Allegedly Fathered 36 Kids and Claimed Genius-Level IQ Admits 'He Was Not Truthful': Police
- Read the Cover Story: Rob Kardashian & Blac Chyna: How I Finally Found Happiness
- Cheryl Burke on Returning to DWTS and What It's Really Like Working with Ryan Lochte
- WATCH: Derek Hough, Maksim Chmerkovskiy and More Show Off Their Best Moves in Surfaced Dancing with the Stars Audition Tapes
- Heart Singer Ann Wilson's Husband Dean Stuart Wetter Charged With Assaulting Twin Teenage Nephews
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 17, 1996
- Vol. 45
- No. 24
Years Past Her Electric Youth, the Teen Prodigy Takes to the Stage
But Gibson, who moved out of her family's Long Island home three years ago, isn't content to sit back and wait. Although her last three albums have met with little acclaim—and less airplay—she has found new musical mountains to climb. For three months in '92 she starred as doomed waif Eponine in Broadway's Les Misérables, then she headed to London, where she played virginal Sandy in Grease! Last fall she took the role of bad girl Rizzo in that show's U.S. touring company. "Broadway was my first dream," she says. "I love the challenge and the tradition." In the past year, Gibson has also written songs for an animated film she'd like to produce and made her TV debut on an episode of ABC's Step by Step. Now she is negotiating for her own sitcom.
"TV is a great way of reaching a lot of people, and she needs to rebuild her image," says her agent Richard Weitz. "And she looks great on-camera. She really has all the right qualities." Still, Gibson, who at 17 became the youngest performer ever to write, produce and sing a No. 1 hit ("Foolish Beat"), would like a second chance at the pop charts. She has written several songs for an album (due later this year) that she describes as "a little more sensual, less formula." When not working, Gibson, who is single, bikes around Manhattan and visits with her parents, now divorced, and three sisters. "If I've one major struggle, it's learning to relax," she says. "I really have a hard time doing nothing."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!