Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Third Man Indicted in Kidnapping, Rape and Murder of Tennessee Nursing Student Holly Bobo
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Go-To Workout Is Coming to the Hamptons
- FROM EW: Pitch Perfect 2's Hailee Steinfeld Lands Record Deal
- Jake Owen: How My Bank Teller Kickstarted My Music Career
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 13, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 7
Can This Cat Smell Death?
When Oscar Cuddles Next to a Patient at a Rhode Island Nursing Home, Doctors Say It's a Comforting Sign the End Is Near
"What's truly fascinating is that he really is such a non-social cat," says Dr. David Dosa, who wrote the Journal article. "He really wants to be left alone. In the piece, I talk about him giving this sort of hiss when a patient comes by." Dosa says he has received reports of similar behaviors in cats and dogs around the world. He believes—as does Dr. Joan Teno, a staff physician at Steere House who considers the cat "part of the culture here"—Oscar's sense of smell may have something to do with his actions, but he also says the cat may be mimicking the nursing home's caregivers, who look after the dying with a ritual that includes low lights, soft music and aromatherapy.
Oscar has not replaced nursing assessments, but staff members so respect his predictive abilities that they call to prepare family members when he shows signs of affection toward a patient. Some family members say they appreciate Oscar's special attention. Jack McCullough believes that his mother, Marion, would have been happy to know that Oscar was with her at the end. "Oscar's comforting purr was a welcome addition to the already peaceful scene."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!