Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Kristen Stewart and Nicholas Hoult Try to Resist Their Feelings in Clip from Sci-Fi Drama Equals
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Khloé Kardashian Feels Conflicted About Her Exes: 'If People Are Destructive to You Emotionally, That Still Doesn't Mean You Can't Love Them'
- Mother-in-Law of Murdered Texas Fitness Instructor Shares Love Story Between Her Son and Daughter-in-Law: 'She Was Definitely the One'
- WATCH: Jennifer Holliday Surprises The View's Whoopi Goldberg with Superstar Co-Host Karaoke Performance of 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 13, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 7
Star's Surgery Secret
Star Jones Reynolds Finally Reveals to Glamour How She Shed 160 Lbs.: Gastric Bypass Surgery
Now with the encouragement of her husband and after two years of therapy, Jones Reynolds, 45, has finally decided to utter the three little words that have made such a big impact on her life: gastric bypass surgery. In an essay in Glamour's September issue, Jones Reynolds discusses the drastic procedure she had in 2003. Her reason for the delayed admission? "First, I didn't know if the surgery would work," she writes. "But the complete truth is, I was scared of what people might think of me. I was afraid to be vulnerable and ashamed at not being able to get myself under control without this procedure." Adds a close source: "It took her a long time to be able to say what it was. She had to come to terms with it herself."
Her decision to undergo the surgery was difficult. After celebrating her 40th birthday in 2002, the 5'5" Jones Reynolds ballooned to her peak weight of 307 lbs. "I just allowed myself to become sedentary and uncaring," Jones Reynolds told PEOPLE in 2005. "It was bad to walk from the door to The View stage to the table and be out of breath." Finally a friend confronted Jones Reynolds about her growing size, which brought the tough-talking lawyer to tears. "She loved me too much, she said, to allow me to continue killing myself," Jones Reynolds writes.
After consulting doctors, Jones Reynolds underwent the hush-hush operation. Within months, fans of The View could see the pounds melt off the cohost's size-26 frame, raising questions if surgery was involved. "I was intentionally evasive," writes Jones Reynolds. Her husband, 37, urged Jones Reynolds to go public, "believing that it would free me, but I couldn't do it," she writes. Says the close source: "She wasn't ready and he respected that. He's been a major support for her all along." Ultimately, with help from a therapist, "I learned that I couldn't control what others thought," Jones Reynolds writes. As fans urged her to be honest about her weight loss, keeping the secret "started to feel hypocritical and cumbersome."
Jones Reynolds says she hopes speaking out will encourage other obese people to get healthy. "Her weight was a real health issue for her, but she looks fantastic now," says longtime friend Morris L. Reid. "She's happier, she's fit. She can be an inspiration."
- Reported by Mark Dagostino/New York City,
- Jeffrey Slonim/New York City,
- Jenny Sundel/Los Angeles.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!