Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- All the Details on Nicole Williams' Enormous $250,000 Engagement Ring from NFL Player Larry English
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Leonardo DiCaprio Is a Warrior for Climate Change in Before the Flood Documentary Trailer
- WATCH: Winning an Emmy 'Never Gets Old' for Jeffrey Tambor
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Reveals Her Father Died Two Days Ago in Tearful Emmys Acceptance Speech
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 11, 2006
- Vol. 66
- No. 24
The Face Transplant One Year Later
A Year After Her Pioneering Operation, Isabelle Dinoire Is Smiling Again, Walking Her New Dog and Getting Ready to Go Back to Work
Her progress has been steady, despite two episodes—the latest was in June—when swelling and redness indicated Dinoire's body was rejecting the nose, lips and chin she received from a suicide victim after losing large sections of her own face in a dog mauling. Doctors upped the antirejection drugs Dinoire will take for the rest of her life, and the episodes passed. "She has recovered 99 percent of her feeling," says Dr. Jean-Michel Dubernard, who led the 50-person medical team in 2005. "She is doing well on all levels."
That includes dramatic improvements in her speech. "I am understood wherever I go," says Dinoire, who had troubles with pronunciation because of limpness in her lips. Though she is still most comfortable inside her apartment in the town of Valenciennes, Dinoire does venture out to walk Max, a brown spaniel. (The mixed black Lab that attacked her was destroyed.) A former factory worker, she hopes to begin work as a secretary in 2007. "There have been problems," she says. "But I am getting on with my life."
September 24, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!