Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM EW: Jon Favreau to Direct a New Adaptation of The Lion King
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Usain Bolt Races James Corden and Owen Wilson in Hilarious Parking Lot Sprint (You Can Probably Guess Who Won)
- Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado Speaks Out After Donald Trump Continues to Attack Her Weight: 'It's a Really Bad Dream for Me'
- WATCH: Kate Hudson Says Working with Kurt Russell Reminded Her Why She Fell in Love with Making Movies
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 04, 2006
- Vol. 66
- No. 23
Who Was That Man in Red?
Over 27 Years, a Secret Santa Gave Away $1.3 Million in Cash Around Kansas City. Now Millionaire Businessman Larry Stewart Has Ended the Mystery
Stewart, who owns a telecommunications company, says since 1979 he has given $1.3 million to the needy. In 1989 he gave $35,000 to Brian Stainbrook, then a college student who needed help paying for a heart and lung transplant. A few years later Stainbrook helped Stewart pass out money. "It was one of the greatest experiences of my life," Stainbrook says of that night. "It restores your faith in your fellow man."
Stewart has come far from the early 1970s when he was living in his car and couldn't pay for a cup of coffee. After the owner of a diner he patronized slipped him $20, Stewart vowed to help others when he could. Now a divorced father of four, he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer this past summer, but after chemotherapy is on the mend. While he will miss his days of giving anonymously, he hopes his newfound notoriety will continue inspiring others. "The more I give, the more I'm blessed," he says. "I am so blessed."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!