Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Strangest Thing Kevin Connolly Saw at Neverland Ranch Was… (VIDEO)
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Teen Thanks Taylor Swift for Saving Her Friends' Lives After Accident – with a Light-Up Bracelet from Singer's Concert
- Scripps National Spelling Bee Ends in a Tie for the Second Year in a Row
- D.C. Mansion Murders Surviving Housekeeper: 'They Saved My Life'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 10, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 11
Britney & Kevin's Custody Battle: Taking Sides
As News of a Child-Services Complaint Is Discussed During a Court Hearing, Spears's Estranged Parents Show Up to Babysit—for Their Former Son-in-Law
If there was any question of strife between Spears, 25, and her family, her parents' voluntary membership in Federline's babysitters' club speaks volumes. Already bitter that her mother pressured her into rehab ("Lynne has used the kids as bait, guilting Britney into making decisions she regretted later," says a Spears pal), now "Britney's angry because Lynne sided with Kevin," says a family friend. Unable to see the boys with Britney, Lynne visits them at Federline's home, where Spears's dad, Jamie, 55—whose relationship with Britney has been strained since he and Lynne split in '02—also stopped by on Aug. 16.
Spears's isolation from her family comes when she could use a lifeline. The Britney vs. K-Fed custody fight took a darker turn at an impromptu hearing Aug. 27, which focused on a complaint that the L.A. County Department of Children and Family Services received questioning the safety of the couple's sons. The fact her parents, after their own contentious divorce, are now presenting a united front reflects the severity of the rift. But Spears isn't likely to budge any time soon. "We always push Britney to make up with her mom," says her friend, "but she feels like she can't trust anyone. [The babysitting] is just another example of that mistrust. It's only making things worse."
- Reported by Jennifer Garcia/Los Angeles,
- Mary Margaret/Los Angeles,
- Ruth Laney/Kentwood,
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!