Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sean and Catherine Giudici Lowe Celebrate Baby Shower
- Read the Cover Story: Céline Dion: 'I Lost the Love of My Life'
- Justice Department to Seek Death Penalty Against Alleged Charleston Church Shooter Dylann Roof
- 5 Things to Know About The Real O'Neals' Noah Galvin
- John Travolta Says His Daughter Ella Channels Meghan Trainor When Making Decisions: 'The song 'My Name Is No, My Number Is No' – That's Her!'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 10, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 11
He Gave 50,000 Kids Their First Pair of Shoes
RUNNER-UP: After finishing third in The Amazing Race II in 2002, the Los Angeles entrepreneur returned to Argentina, a favorite destination on the show. While visiting a remote village, he was struck by the number of children with cuts on their feet, unable to afford the espadrille-like shoes worn by locals. "I had an epiphany," he says. "What if I redesigned the shoe, and every time I sold a pair, I gave one to these kids."
THE PLAN: Mycoskie enlisted craftsmen in Argentina and began selling a more durable rubber-soled version of the canvas shoes for $38 online (www.tomsshoes.com) in May 2006. In no time, he lined up 400 stores such as Nordstrom, winning fans like Karl Lagerfeld and Scarlett Johansson.
RESULTS: Mycoskie has given shoes to 50,000 kids in Argentina and will distribute shoes in South Africa this fall. Says Teresa Villalba, 47, a grateful mother of 12 in Argentina: "I've never been able to buy shoes for my kids. Blake has a great heart."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!