Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Catherine Lowe Makes Jason Mesnick Wax His Chest on Bachelor-Themed Celebrity Wife Swap
- Read the Cover Story: Inside Blake & Miranda's Shocking Split
- Cecil the Lion's Killer: Who Is Walter Palmer?
- Watch Simon Pegg Channel a Drunk Ron Weasley to Wish Harry Potter a Happy 35th Birthday on Fallon – Sort Of
- Stewarts & Hamiltons Sneak Peek: Watch Kimberly Stewart Bond with Kids in Haiti
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 10, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 11
He Gave 50,000 Kids Their First Pair of Shoes
RUNNER-UP: After finishing third in The Amazing Race II in 2002, the Los Angeles entrepreneur returned to Argentina, a favorite destination on the show. While visiting a remote village, he was struck by the number of children with cuts on their feet, unable to afford the espadrille-like shoes worn by locals. "I had an epiphany," he says. "What if I redesigned the shoe, and every time I sold a pair, I gave one to these kids."
THE PLAN: Mycoskie enlisted craftsmen in Argentina and began selling a more durable rubber-soled version of the canvas shoes for $38 online (www.tomsshoes.com) in May 2006. In no time, he lined up 400 stores such as Nordstrom, winning fans like Karl Lagerfeld and Scarlett Johansson.
RESULTS: Mycoskie has given shoes to 50,000 kids in Argentina and will distribute shoes in South Africa this fall. Says Teresa Villalba, 47, a grateful mother of 12 in Argentina: "I've never been able to buy shoes for my kids. Blake has a great heart."
Know a hero? Send suggestions to HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!