Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: KT Tunstall Opens Up About Why Her New Album Is Different From Past Music
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- From Extra Crispy: 7 Ways to Use Leftover Bacon Grease
- Lisa Ling: Why I Regret Having a Scheduled C-Section with My Second Daughter
- WATCH AND SHOP: Why These Heels Are Better Than All the Others in Your Closet
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 17, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 12
Country Singer Lori McKenna
HOMETOWN: Stoughton, Mass.
WHY YOU KNOW HER: The mom of five may be country's unlikeliest star. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill fight over songs she writes, and her own album, Unglamorous, has gotten glowing reviews
• THIS UNGLAMOROUS LIFE: Before Hill recorded three of her songs for the 2005 album Fireflies, McKenna lived a life true to her album's title track. She and her plumber husband of 19 years, Gene, 39, were raising their kids, now aged 3 to 18, in a modest three-bedroom house with "one bathroom, threadbare rugs, no cable." Financially, "it was month to month," says McKenna, who sold Tupperware and put 150,000 miles on her minivan. After her big break, the family took their first Disney trip: "That was a big deal. We kept telling the kids, 'You have to thank Auntie Faith for this!'" This April, they moved to a bigger home nearby.
• AN EARLY HEARTBREAK: The youngest of six, she lost her mother when she was 7, but being Irish Catholic, she says, "there wasn't a lot of whining about Mom being gone. You move on." Instead, she put her emotions into writing songs, many of them weepy ballads. "I used to get the question, 'Are you okay?' a lot. People take me literally but I'm a happy person."
• FAITH & FAMILY: Lori and three of her kids joined the McGraw-Hill clan for a month of touring this summer. Lessons learned? 1. Keep the kids happy. "They bring bikes, basketball hoops and Barbies for their girls—they have it figured out." 2. Even superstars need a washer-dryer. "I saw Faith dragging a laundry bag into the arena one day—she does her own laundry!" 3. Don't trust the guy in the hat. "Tim is always lying! He told someone I could drink a case and a half of beer. I can't finish a second beer!"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!