Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: First Lady Michelle Obama Says She's 'Straight Up Nailing' Her Job on Resume in College Humor Skit
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Golden Girls Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Wow In Second Barely-There Balmain Outfits
- Blac Chyna Says She Posted Rob Kardashian's Phone Number on Twitter to Stop Him Texting Other Women
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 02, 2006
- Vol. 66
- No. 14
Picks and Pans Review: Janet Jackson
REVIEWED BY CHUCK ARNOLD
While she had already made two forgettable albums (Dream Street, anyone?), Janet Jackson's music career didn't really begin until she released 1986's landmark Control. This, her ninth studio outing—the title of which stands for "20 years old"—celebrates the 20th anniversary of the birth of Miss Jackson If You're Nasty. "I've covered a lot in my 20 years/And I've uncovered a lot in my 20 years," she says in the spoken intro, perhaps alluding to the Nipplegate controversy that led to disappointing sales of 2004's Damita Jo. Despite that fallout, Jackson couldn't be more upbeat on 20 Y.O. At 40, she sounds like a carefree 20-year-old, one reveling in the joys of life, love and sex.
Although the CD—much of which was coproduced by Jackson's longtime beau Jermaine Dupri—doesn't break much new ground, it revisits some fan-friendly territory. "With U" is a smooth and creamy ballad that plays like a sequel to Control's "Let's Wait Awhile," while the whimsical "Daybreak" could be "Escapade 2006." If one cut sums up this disc, though, it's "Enjoy," a jazz-kissed midtempo charmer on which Jackson still sounds sweetly innocent after all these years.
DOWNLOAD THIS: "Enjoy"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!