Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Making a Murderer's Steven Avery Fell in Love Behind Bars: New Fiancée Says, 'It Was Just Like Magic'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Eric Dyches Starts Center for Moms with Postpartum Depression in Memory of his Wife
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: Timing Is Everything
- Princess Kate's $385 Cowboy Boots Are Not the Royal Re-Wear They Appear
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
• Telling it like it is: The Dancing contestants may call her the "mean" judge, but "if they listen carefully, I'm really helping all of them," claims Inaba. "I get frustrated when they fight me. Okay, we can battle, but I am the judge—you're not going to win."
• Big in Japan: After winning a talent show in Hawaii in 1986, Inaba, then 18, was groomed to be a pop star in Japan. Though her first single made the Top 50, "I was singing lyrics phonetically from a lyric sheet," she recalls. "It was horrifying. Being there I realized it has nothing to do with how artistic you are. Your face becomes a logo they sell."
• The J.Lo-down: The part Chinese, part Japanese and part Irish Inaba made her dancing breakthrough as a Flygirl alongside Jennifer Lopez on the 1990s comedy/variety show In Living Color. "Five multicultural girls were going for their dreams and not afraid," she says of her fellow dancers. "I felt so at home."
• The bald truth: In 1993, a touring Madonna hired Inaba as a backup dancer, but the gig came with a price: Madonna wanted Inaba to cut off her hair. "I thought twice about it," says Inaba. "But I was like, 'Are you kidding me? This is Madonna!'"
• Taylor made: Despite being in charge of the Idols' booty-shaking, Inaba takes no credit for Taylor Hicks's signature gyrations. "It's not put on, it's not fake, it's just an expression and that's why I love it," she says. As for the others? "Elliott [Yamin] was resistant. Katherine McPhee can move."
To get the scoop on the show, go to WWW.PEOPLE.COM/DANCING
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!