Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Basketball Team Banned from Playoffs for Wearing Breast Cancer Uniforms Is Reinstated
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- San Francisco Woman Seeks Boyfriend Using 54-Ft. Personal Ad Mural
- Here's What Needs to Happen in House of Cards Season 4
- Sleeping on the Job? Victoria Beckham's New Fall Lookbook Features Models Passed Out (PHOTOS)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 2006
- Vol. 66
- No. 3
At 59, Lauren Cohen Becomes the Oldest American Woman to Bear Twins
The babies—delivered by C-section at 31 weeks and weighing a little over 3 lbs. each—are the result of Cohen's improbable and, at times, harrowing road to AARP-aged motherhood. With a 27-year-old daughter from a prior marriage, she began her quest two years ago. After being turned down by several fertility specialists because of her age, Cohen conceived using donor eggs and gave birth to Raquel in December 2004. The following October the couple used extra embryos from that IVF treatment to conceive again.
Then, near disaster. Diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening condition called placenta percreta—in which the placenta pokes through the uterus—Cohen was taken to Manhattan's New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia on March 28 for rest and observation. In the end, she required emergency surgery and 33 pints of blood. Beyond such biological risks, mothers in their 50s, says Dr. Steven Ory of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, face "concerns whether they will survive to the point that the child reaches adulthood." Cohen, who lost both parents in her teens, understands. Yet she has no doubts. "Frank," she says, "will be a nurturing, hands-on father."
March 04, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!