Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Video: Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke Sing in Chris Martin's Game of Thrones: The Musical
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Watch Dwayne Johnson and Jimmy Fallon's 1989 Graduation Speech
- Photo: Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult Reunite on the Set of X-Men: Apocalypse
- Suspect in Mansion Murders Arrested in Washington D.C.
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 2006
- Vol. 66
- No. 3
At 59, Lauren Cohen Becomes the Oldest American Woman to Bear Twins
The babies—delivered by C-section at 31 weeks and weighing a little over 3 lbs. each—are the result of Cohen's improbable and, at times, harrowing road to AARP-aged motherhood. With a 27-year-old daughter from a prior marriage, she began her quest two years ago. After being turned down by several fertility specialists because of her age, Cohen conceived using donor eggs and gave birth to Raquel in December 2004. The following October the couple used extra embryos from that IVF treatment to conceive again.
Then, near disaster. Diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening condition called placenta percreta—in which the placenta pokes through the uterus—Cohen was taken to Manhattan's New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia on March 28 for rest and observation. In the end, she required emergency surgery and 33 pints of blood. Beyond such biological risks, mothers in their 50s, says Dr. Steven Ory of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, face "concerns whether they will survive to the point that the child reaches adulthood." Cohen, who lost both parents in her teens, understands. Yet she has no doubts. "Frank," she says, "will be a nurturing, hands-on father."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!