Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez and More to Headline Star-Studded 2016 Global Citizen Festival
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Eva Longoria Takes Aim at Trump During DNC Speech: 'My Family Never Crossed a Border, the Border Crossed Us'
- WATCH: Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Can't Help but Break Character During Hilarious Art Therapy Skit
- Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen Reveal They Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 30, 2007
- Vol. 68
- No. 5
Hairspray's Nikki Blonsky
Just Last Year She Was Scooping Ice Cream. Now She's Serving Up Show Tunes and Big Dos in the New Movie Musical Costarring John Travolta
Neither did Hairspray's cast and crew once they saw Blonsky's confident lead performance. "We were absolutely knocked out by her," says producer Neil Meron. "It's that rare moment where the actual person and the role seem to be one." Marvels John Travolta: "She's got the Streisand thing, she's got the Liza Minnelli thing. She's awesome." (Travolta, by the way, plays Blonsky's mom, a role traditionally played by men in drag; see box.) And while Blonsky admits to a few nervous moments with her A-list costars (seeing Travolta, "I thought, 'I'm going to meet Danny Zuko!'"), she soon fit right in. "I watch her walk the red carpet with more poise than I ever have," says castmate and High School Musical star Zac Efron. "This is a girl who's obviously been ready her entire life for this."
Although Blonsky doesn't come from showbiz stock (mom Karen, 49, is an elementary school aide; dad Carl, 50, works in water pollution control), she started voice lessons at 8 and was known "as the girl who would sing for any event in Great Neck," she says. The actress had theater aspirations but didn't get serious about them until she saw Hairspray on Broadway at 15. "That's when I was like, 'Ch-ching! I've gotta do this or I'm gonna die.'" Her Hairspray dream seemingly fizzled the next year when she was rejected for the Broadway show for being too young, but when the musical was turned into a movie she finally landed her dream role.
Offscreen, "very single" is how Blonsky describes herself. "It's more about my career right now," she says. "I think, 'Wow, a year ago I was scooping ice cream, and now I'm standing next to John Travolta in matching pink dresses.' I'm ready for whatever comes."
- With reporting by Monica Rizzo.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!