, Ann Curry, 50, gives PEOPLE her top 10 lessons learned:
10. You never get used to waking up before dawn.
9. Al can whistle the theme songs from Raiders of the Lost Ark
and Mr. T
8. Matt gets a cute little red spot on his forehead when he's embarrassed—which is rare.
7. Never ever wear fuchsia. Especially as a lipstick.
6. Meredith is a hugger, and she will giggle even when your jokes aren't that funny.
5. The world is small: What happens in another country will affect America.
4. Being a reporter will make your heart hurt.
3. Be willing to be humiliated daily.
2. America's heart is huge. A well-told story can change lives or raise millions for charity.
1. High heels are really stupid.
JOHN MAYER: SHOE FETISH?
Your closet is a wonderland? While it's unlikely John Mayer will ever compose an ode to his Air Jordans, that doesn't mean he isn't obsessed with his sneaker collection. "I need to buy two pairs—one to wear and one to put away," the singer-songwriter, 29, said at an XM Radio event. "But as soon as you take them out of the box, they're no longer perfect, so you need another. I'm kind of a girl in that way." Surely Jessica Simpson
Actor MARK WAHLBERG, currently starring in the sniper flick Shooter
His Oscar nomination: My dad was like, "I don't give a damn how much you get paid. Now you can call yourself a professional actor."
Daughter Ella Rae, 3: She doesn't know I'm in movies. Her mother asked, "Do you know what Daddy does?" and she said, "Yeah, he works really hard to buy me all my toys."
His daughter's future suitors: For [Shooter
] they sent me to sniper training. So I could be the daddy shining his rifle when she's 16 and the guy shows up at the house. I might have this movie playing in the background too. I might end up back in jail. And I will have no problem going back!
3 Questions For ...
The comedian, 42, directed and stars in the romantic comedy I Think I Love My Wife
1. FOR A COMEDY, THIS HAS A LOT OF FAMILY DRAMA. WHAT'S THE DEAL?
It has a simple, simple plot. The guy is married for seven years, hits a rough patch, a girl walks in, and he tries not to sleep with her. It's like a grown person's horror flick! There's too many comedies about guys who won't grow up. I just wanted to play an adult.
2. HOW DO YOU KEEP THE FIRE BURNING IN A MARRIAGE?
You know, it's hard. How do you spruce up anything? Artificially. You go places and do things—but nothing lives forever.
3 THERE'S A LOT OF CURSING IN THIS MOVIE. WERE YOU AT ALL CONCERNED ABOUT THE LANGUAGE?
I'm out of the concern business. I'm an artist; I do what I do. I'm not Picasso, but I'm sure he didn't worry about getting the floor dirty.
- CONTRIBUTORS Melody Wells,
- With KC Baker,
- Carrie Bell,
- Paul Chi,
- Nicholas White.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DECADE MAKES! After 10 years on