Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 03, 2006
- Vol. 65
- No. 13
They Gave Up Birthday Parties to Raise Money for Other Sick Kids
Patrick and Josephine Droney
In February 2002 Patrick Droney was 9 and in the hospital, undergoing a blood plasma infusion for Von Willebrand syndrome—an inherited blood-clotting disorder. "I was like, 'There's no toys here,'" recalls Patrick, now 13. "There was this little girl with terminal brain cancer looking for them." With his July 24 birthday coming up, Patrick and sister Josephine—15 and also born with Von Willebrand—hatched a plan: Throw a "birthday" party and ask guests to bring toys, not for Patrick but for the hospital. About 150 people turned out at the Droneys' Lancaster, Pa., home with $4,000 in stuffed animals, electronic gadgets and other gifts.
The Droneys have raised more than $26,000 in cash and toys for such groups as the National Hemophilia Foundation and the Shelby Richter Fund, named for an Absecon, N.J., girl who died of sarcoma at 13. Says Shelby's mother, Charlene Ruark: "They've already done more than many people do their entire lives." Their condition controlled by medication, Patrick and Josephine are pretty typical kids. "If anyone can teach Patrick to clean his room," says mom Christine, "I'd appreciate it."
Do you know someone working to make a difference in the world? Send suggestions to heroesamongus peoplemag.com. Please include your name, phone number and return e-mail address.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!