Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 23, 2007
- Vol. 67
- No. 16
After Helping Stars Shape Up on Celebrity Fit Club, Dr. Ian Smith Now Wants to Get 5 Million African-Americans to Drop 50 Million Lbs.
That's just what Celebrity Fit Club diet expert Dr. Ian Smith hoped to hear. On April 7 Weems and more than 5,000 others joined Smith, 37, on the Mall to kick off the 50 Million Pound Challenge. (Similar events in 13 other cities are scheduled.) In the two-year initiative, Smith wants 5 million African-Americans to lose at least 10 lbs. each. That may not seem like much, but, he says, the program isn't just about the scale. Citing high rates of obesity in the black population (45 vs. 32 percent of all Americans), Smith says, "This is about taking a better look at overall health."
"It's a support system," says Fit Club veteran Kimberley Locke, who performed, along with Patti LaBelle, at the event. "On Fit Club we had each other. Here, people form a pact and become obligated to each other to do this." So far, almost 16,000 have committed to the State Farm Insurance-sponsored program on a Web site (www.50millionpounds.com) that provides exercise and diet tips and tracks participants' cumulative weight loss: 4,953 lbs. to date. Says the TV doc best known for his no-nonsense "Fat Smash" diet: "I would love for this to be my legacy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!