Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Shannen Doherty Shares Emotional Wedding Flashback Post on Instagram: 'I Would Walk Any Path With This Man'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Ryan Lochte Says It 'Brings Tears to My Eyes' Knowing His 'Adorable' Grandmother Is Watching Dancing with the Stars
- Courteney Cox Defends Jennifer Aniston Amid Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Men Charged in 'Grisly' Triple Homicide Knew Victims' Daughter as 'Furries,' Friends Say
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 06, 2006
- Vol. 65
- No. 9
The Crying Cowboy
Meet the Singing Rancher Who Roped in Fans and Disarmed Simon Cowell with His Country-Boy Innocence
HOMETOWN: Veteran, Wyo.
LATEST GIG: This season's most endearing reject on American Idol
NAME GAME: "I had two nicknames [on the show], 'the Crying Cowboy' and 'Turkey Boy,'" says Johnson, who sings to his pet turkey Tom on his family's 1,000-acre ranch. "I cry when something's really emotional. But the other day, I fell in a ditch with a tractor and almost died, and I didn't cry."
GAGA IN LA-LA LAND: "My first time flying was to Hollywood," says Johnson, who also got his first glimpse of an ocean. "I jumped in the darned thing. I broke my cell phone. My mom sent me another one."
END OF THE TRAIL: "I was always so nervous onstage," he says of his underwhelming Idol performances. "Especially my last audition. My music teacher is so dang stern. He says I pushed too hard with my songs and need to learn how to control my breath. I plan to continue taking my lessons until I get it right, because I'm a stubborn person."
THE PRICE OF FAME: "I was walking past a row of people [at a Denver restaurant] the other day, and they went silent," recalls Johnson, who's been fielding calls from music and movie executives. "When I walked back, they stared at me. It was cool [but] kind of uncomfortable. I tipped my hat and I ran away."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!