Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Will Smith's Kids Are Reacting to His Suicide Squad Role: 'This Is the First Time Where I'm Cool for Real'
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- American Surfer Survives 'Vicious' Crocodile Attack in Costa Rica Thanks to Friend Who Fought It Off with His Bare Hands
- Lindsay Davenport: Why the Atlanta Olympics Were So Special to Me and My Family
- Lindsay Lohan Hints at Relationship Trouble with Russian Love Egor Tarabasov in Cryptic Social Media Posts
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 13, 2006
- Vol. 65
- No. 10
The Real Deal with Howie
Deal or No Deal Host Howie Mandel Reveals Backstage Secrets at TV's Hottest New Game Show
He's been an actor, comic and talk show host. So why is Mandel, at 50, taking on his first game show gig? As emcee of NBC's hit Deal or No Deal— in which players must decide whether to swap a briefcase full of cash for one with as much as $1 million or as little as 1 cent—Mandel says, "I can be funny. I get to work in front of an audience, and I can improvise."
YOU BET YOUR LIFE
"Ultimately their choices could change their lives," he says of Deal's contestants." It's heart-wrenching because they need the money. I want them to win. But I don't know what case holds what. All I can do is point out their odds."
"You wouldn't believe the tension," says Mandel. "I've taped 15 shows, and I'd say 90 percent of the men have been brought to tears. I've seen people get weak in the knees, they can't catch their breath and we have to stop taping."
TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES
"One woman was offered $140,000," says Mandel, "but her husband said, 'No deal.' She went home with $25,000. Her body language after the show definitely wasn't warm and fuzzy."
I'VE GOT A SECRET
The players don't know Mandel has obsessive-compulsive disorder. "I don't want them to be uncomfortable," he says. "They hug me and hold me. I just don't shake hands." He adds: "I wash mine 20 times a day. My wife, Terry, and I have [often told] our three kids, 'Don't do anything Daddy does.'" Still, at the end of a stressful day, "when the warm water is flowing over my hands, I'm in heaven."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!