Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kanye West's NSFW 'Famous' Music Video Features a Topless Taylor Swift Sculpture: 'Special Thanks for Being Famous'
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- It's a Girl! Audrina Patridge Welcomes Daughter Kirra Max
- Restaurant Owner Fires His Son After Customer Is Called 'Fatty' on Receipt
- Mother of Accused Slenderman Stabber Expresses Concern Over Daughter's Future After Teen's Mental Illness Stabilizes: 'With Lucidity Comes Awareness'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 13, 2006
- Vol. 65
- No. 10
The Real Deal with Howie
Deal or No Deal Host Howie Mandel Reveals Backstage Secrets at TV's Hottest New Game Show
He's been an actor, comic and talk show host. So why is Mandel, at 50, taking on his first game show gig? As emcee of NBC's hit Deal or No Deal— in which players must decide whether to swap a briefcase full of cash for one with as much as $1 million or as little as 1 cent—Mandel says, "I can be funny. I get to work in front of an audience, and I can improvise."
YOU BET YOUR LIFE
"Ultimately their choices could change their lives," he says of Deal's contestants." It's heart-wrenching because they need the money. I want them to win. But I don't know what case holds what. All I can do is point out their odds."
"You wouldn't believe the tension," says Mandel. "I've taped 15 shows, and I'd say 90 percent of the men have been brought to tears. I've seen people get weak in the knees, they can't catch their breath and we have to stop taping."
TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES
"One woman was offered $140,000," says Mandel, "but her husband said, 'No deal.' She went home with $25,000. Her body language after the show definitely wasn't warm and fuzzy."
I'VE GOT A SECRET
The players don't know Mandel has obsessive-compulsive disorder. "I don't want them to be uncomfortable," he says. "They hug me and hold me. I just don't shake hands." He adds: "I wash mine 20 times a day. My wife, Terry, and I have [often told] our three kids, 'Don't do anything Daddy does.'" Still, at the end of a stressful day, "when the warm water is flowing over my hands, I'm in heaven."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!