Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Teenager Among 3 Dead Women Found in Rancho Santa Fe Home
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Mark Salling Child Pornography Case Delayed as Former Glee Star Seeks New Representation
- Ex Cons Triumph as Trainers at Prison Style Bootcamp in N.Y.C.
- Vicki Gunvalson Struggles to Repair RHOC Friendships: They 'Lost Respect for Me'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
Finding Luxury on the Scrap Heap
The hero of Gunsmoke and Mc Cloud has taken to the limit the eco gospel of Reuse, Recycle, Reduce. His architect, maverick MICHAEL REYNOLDS, 44, who earlier built some 50 self-sufficient "Earth Ships" near Taos, N.Mex., says the very durability that causes automobile tires to be an ecological disaster (247 million dumped in 1988) makes them ideal building blocks. In Weaver's pad, 3,000 old tires are packed with dirt, surrounded by more than 200,000 aluminum cans and covered with adobe. The three-foot-thick walls act as a thermal battery. "Dense mass stores temperature," Reynolds explains. "The more dense the mass is, the more temperature it stores." After a year of warming, the walls will hold a constant temperature of about 68°F winter and summer. A south-facing wall of glass (overlooking snowcapped peaks) brings the three-level house up to 70°F. Photovoltaic cells provide juice for lights. In the living room stand 300 square feet of planters for growing vegetables and fruit, irrigated by a system that filters runoff from five baths and a laundry. Says Weaver: "A good planet is hard to find. I'd like to leave it in good shape."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!