Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chris Soules's Bachelor Blog: 'I Knew Things Were About to Get Very Real'
- The Best Photos from the Week of Feb. 23- Mar. 1, 2015
- PLL Recap: A Couple Breaks Up, Another Liar Is Charged in Mona's Murder
- 19 Kids & Counting Recap: Jessa and Ben Receive Their Wedding Invitations, Shop for Flowers
- Jennifer Garner: My Favorite Role Is 'Mommy'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
A Boatlift Refugee Rides High
For Alfonzo, such recognition has been hard-won. In Cuba, "The imagery I was using did not portray the happiness socialism brings," he says ironically. "The idea that I might get in trouble sort of traumatized me." His flight to the U.S., however, meant leaving his pro-Castro parents, his former wife and their young son, then 6. After almost two months in refugee camps, he settled in Miami and resumed painting—at first on cheap cardboard and paper.
Now his paintings sell for up to $20,000, and he works in a cavernous South Miami Beach studio, creating a mix of often-ominous images—floating body parts, crosses, tongue-piercing daggers—that suggests both the tensions in his own history and the often-symbolic art of his Hispanic heritage. Analyzing Alfonzo's arcane allusions, Arts Magazine discovered an oeuvre that spurred thought "not of the tropics, but of the known and unknown terrors of the present age." "Only one label really depicts what you do," says the painter, "and that is 'artist.' " The world eagerly accedes to Alfonzo's self-appellation. Except for his native land. "After I left," he reports sadly, "my works were retired from Cuba's National Museum."
March 03, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!