Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS! Looking Back on How The Bachelor Won Our Hearts Through the Seasons
- Read the Cover Story: Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Sexiest Dad Alive
- Next Up, Magnum: Ben Stiller's Son Masters Blue Steel at Zoolander 2 Premiere
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian Jokes Kris Jenner Looks Like She's 'in a Car Wash' as She Tries on Dresses for 60th Birthday Party
- Flashback! Ryan Reynolds Was PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive in 2010: Read the Cover Story
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
Tribal Dance with a Streetlight Glow
Convinced that valid and powerful dance could spring from the culture and history of her own people, Zollar formed URBAN BUSH WOMEN in 1984, a New York City-based troupe that mixes modern and jazz choreography with Caribbean and African rhythms, tribal chants, gospel testifying and ghetto swagger. With the dancers moving to percussive music and their own claps, stomps and street speech (often dealing with homelessness, oppression and survival), the group has "turned us around as to what dance is," attests veteran festival producer Lenwood Sloan. Echoes Liz Thompson, director of the Brooklyn Academy of Music's influential Next Wave Festival: "Jawole reflects a variety of heritages, and that, in a sense, is the direction of the '90s."
For Zollar, certainly, it is the right compass setting for a multiethnic society. "The melting pot will be supplanted by a gumbo pot," she says hopefully. "Rather than trying to boil everything down to make this one soup, we'll say all of these ingredients are needed to make it interesting. America is going to have to accept itself."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!