Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Taylor Swift's Most Winning Moments at the iHeartRadio Music Awards
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- VIDEO: What Happens When Teen Mom OG's Amber Is Ambushed by Gary's New Girlfriend?
- What's It Like to Get Caught Up In a 'Tornado' With Little Big Town?
- Is Hugh Jackman Done with Wolverine? See His Cryptic Instagram Photo
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
Sewing Up a Storm
Quiltmakers Needle the Status Quo
These bold new designs actually renew a tradition dating back at least to the mid-1800s, when quilters unburdened themselves on abolition and the Union. "The quilter has always been a mirror of her society," says Robert Bishop, director of New York's Museum of American Folk Art.
Now, as in the past, women often sew in a group on one large or several individual works. "In the quilting process, people release emotional strain," notes Bishop.
The quilting movement is itself a kind of quilt. Environmental "Green quilts" are being popularized by artist-activists such as Ohio's SUSAN SHIE. Collectors are snapping up black-history quilts by slaves' descendants who confront the tragedies of the past. The nuclear accident at Chernobyl has found its way into arresting works by BARBARA CAROW, whose hangings sell for $2,000 at Boston's Society of Arts and Crafts. Soft-tech twits high-tech in PCB Bop, by New Yorker ROBIN SCHWALB. A colorful trompe l'oeil blowup of a printed circuit board, it is both alluring and faintly menacing.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!