Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Yes! Michael Keaton Says He Wants to Make Beetlejuice Sequel
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- It's a Boy for Chris O'Dowd
- Who Brightened Yolanda Foster's Day with Get Well Flowers?
- You’ll Never Guess Where Kim & Kanye Went with Chrissy Teigen & John Legend on a Double Date
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday February 01, 2015 04:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
The Super Bowl May Have Been a Doozy, but the Best Moment of All Came Just Before Kickoff
When Houston, 27, was first invited to perform the anthem, the game was a year away and most Americans didn't know a Scud from a smart bomb or Peter Arnett from an A-10 Warthog. In mid-January of this year, she recorded the vocal track in L.A. and the Florida Orchestra recorded the music in Tampa (prerecording is a common Super Bowl practice in case of technical glitches on game day). Then on Jan. 27—10 days into the gulf air war—she took the field before 73,813 fans and a TV audience of 115 million. Afterward "I went back up in the sky booth and watched the game." says Houston. "It wasn't until a day or two later that I realized the whole country was in an uproar."
Stirred by her rousing, gospel-inspired performance, Houston's version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" quickly became the fastest-selling single ever on Arista Records. Within weeks, sales of video tapes, CDs and audio cassettes of her performance raised more than $500,000 for the American Red Cross Gulf Crisis Fund.
"I think it was a time when Americans needed to believe in our country." Houston says now. "I remember standing there and looking at all those people, and it was like I could see in their faces the hopes and prayers and fears of the entire country."
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!