Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- We're Dye-ing Over these Easter Egg Designs
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- FROM EW: Prince Sued in Legal Battle Over The Voice Singer Judith Hill
- From Homeless to Music Stardom: Doug Seegers on His 'Roller Coaster' Life
- Cat Litter Caused $240 Million Radiation Leak in New Mexico
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
The Grateful Dead's Heart and Soul, He Became the Beloved Free Spirit Behind Rock's Great Odyssey
It's no surprise that the death of Garcia—of a heart attack, at 53—provoked elaborate displays of grief from hordes of his tie-dyed fans. But millions who wouldn't ordinarily be counted among the Grateful faithful were touched too. Stockbrokers. Politicians (Sen. Patrick Leahy recalled taking Garcia to the Senate Dining Room as his guest). Lithuanian athletes. Teenagers who think of psychedelia as a style, and not a path to heightened consciousness. In ways obvious or tangential—as a musician, bemused '60s' icon, guerrilla entrepreneur or shambling philosopher—Jerry Garcia made people happier.
He was, as his concerned family and friends had been aware for years, all too human. With a guitar in hand, playing the music he loved, Garcia seemed like a wise, grinning Buddha. Privately, he struggled for much of his adult life with drug problems. In the end, his weakened heart gave out.
Wherever Jerry Garcia is now, he's probably dumbfounded by all the hoopla. Despite recognition from his peers, he was modest about his talent and amazed by the Grateful Dead's 30-year ride. "I feel like we've been getting away with something," he once said, "ever since there were more people in the audience than there were onstage."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!