Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- High-Ranking Air Force Colonel Accused of Rape Found Dead in Colorado Home: Police
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Debate Karma: Donald Trump Mocked on Twitter for Excessive Water Drinking
- Who Is Alicia Machado? Meet the Former Miss Universe Donald Trump Called 'Miss Piggy' and 'Miss Housekeeping'
- Watch Hilary Duff (Sort of) Define Her Romantic Relationship with Personal Trainer Jason Walsh
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 08, 1974
- Vol. 1
- No. 6
Maggie Bell, winner of the leading British rock rag's poll as "Best Female Singer" an unprecedented two years in a row, obviously did not have to undertake her just-completed American tour to drum up a following. She traveled Stateside to claim from American critics her rightful legacy as the most sensational white blues singer since Janis Joplin.
Maggie, the 29-year-old daughter of a widowed waitress, discovered music as a tambourine-rattling 5-year-old in a Salvation Army street band in her native Glasgow. First noticed as the gutsy vocalist in the briefly popular Scottish rock act Stone the Crows, Maggie's career went into a tailspin when her fiance Les Harvey, the group's lead guitarist, was electrocuted by touching a faultily wired microphone during a British concert in 1972. Maggie, awaiting her entrance, was watching in the wings. The band broke up shortly thereafter. "It's a funny thing to explain," Maggie remembers, "but I died when Les died. And then I experienced a rebirth. I knew that I really had to go on singing." Her first two stabs at a solo recording failed to measure up to her own musical standards. Undaunted, she tried again. The result—just released to unqualified raves—is called Queen of the Night. But for Maggie Bell it's really the dawn's early rays.
September 24, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!