Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sharon Osbourne Says She's 'In a Really Good Place' Two Months After Taking Ozzy Back: 'I Adore Ozzy'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Brad Pitt 'Cooperating Fully' with DCFS Investigation, Including Drug Test Request
- Octavia Spencer and More React to South Carolina Elementary School Shooting that Left Three People Injured
- FROM Fortune: How America's Next Top Model Made Tyra Banks a Better Businesswoman
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 06, 1974
- Vol. 1
- No. 10
Tamu has gained her widest exposure to date with guest shots as ghetto student Francie Potter on the TV sit-com Maude. But her performance as the unwed and pregnant Charlene in the just premiered Claudine—a surprisingly upbeat movie about a Harlem welfare family starring Diahann Carroll and James Earl Jones—promises to establish her as a serious dramatic actress. Difficult as it is to believe watching her portrayal of the tearful adolescent Charlene, Tamu is a diminutive 23-year-old, with credits in the films Come Back Charleston Blue, Up the Sandbox and the Broadway musical Aint Supposed to Die a Natural Death.
"I owe a lot of people a lot of things," says Tamu, which is the only name she is known by. After her mother died when she was a child, Tamu was adopted by the family of Charlie Blackwell, a former stage manager for Broadway producer David Merrick, who is currently associated with Melvin Van Peebles, the black author, composer and playwright. Starting in junior high school, Tamu studied for six years with the Al Fann Theatrical Ensemble. Of Claudine, which is among the first black films to avoid the karate-chopping, pistol-packing, drug-stunned clichés of the "blaxploitation" genre, she says: "It's time that black youth saw winners."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!