Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Outlander Recap: Claire Is Forced to Choose Between Jamie and Frank
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Hillary Scott on Lady Antebellum's Tour Bus Fire: It's 'Nothing Compared to What It Could Have Been'
- The Untold Story of Rock Hudson's Final Days
- Jill (Duggar) and Derick Dillard: Israel David's Birth Brought Us Closer Together
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 13, 1974
- Vol. 1
- No. 11
Poor, Dead Fred, the $650 Guppy
The form was carefully filled out: "Age of the insured: six months, weight: 30 centigrams, height: 3 centimeters, good health: yes, in the military service: no, relationship of the beneficiary to insured: owner."
Mazanek expected only to raise an eyebrow or a chuckle at the other end. Instead, the company's computer obligingly issued a policy. Six months later the guppy was still alive, and Mazanek decided to continue his private joke for an additional $11. A few weeks later, Fred Finn died (a guppy's life expectancy is only about eight months), and Mazanek filed his claim.
This time, a human employee of the company noticed the discrepancies, and a vice president hurried to Maricopa, Ariz., where Mazanek now lives, to negotiate. "We argued back and forth for a long time," Mazanek recalls. The evidence, Fred's body (at left), was conveniently nearby, in the family freezer, where it still maintains a place of honor. Finally, Mazanek and the insurance executive agreed to settle for $650 to spare the company further embarrassment. Appropriately, Mazanek and his wife Diane spent the first chunk of it on a lavish dinner in Fred's honor. The main course, of course, was fish.
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!