Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kourtney Kardashian Posts Flashback Photo of the Night She Met Scott Disick
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- Ryan Phillippe: My Daughter Ava Hates When People Think I'm Her Brother
- Jake Gyllenhaal Is Ripped as He Battles for His Daughter in Southpaw Trailer
- FROM TIME: See the 10 Best Outfits from Mad Men
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 08, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 2
Ali V. Foreman: Their Banquet Jibes Went Sour
Throughout a boxing-writers' dinner, Ali had needled the colorless Foreman, chiding him for waving the flag at the 1968 Olympics and belittling his punching ability. Foreman, knowing Ali is still undefeated as a wiseacre, endured stoically and at the end even cracked a smile. But then, after the two boxers shook hands, Ali put his arm around Foreman. Foreman shook it off and Ali made a grab for the championship belt Foreman held. The two scuffled, with a growing edge of anger. Ali's jacket, then Foreman's shirt were ripped. Ali began to yell, "I'm gonna beat your Christian ass." As Foreman walked away, Ali grabbed water glasses off the table and threw them at the wall near the departing champion. Afterwards, the question was not whether the two men's embarrassing lapse of poise would hype the TV theater gate for the fight—but only how much. Ali, for once, was almost at a loss for words—almost. "I was doing to him what he tried to do to me," said Ali lamely next day. "Put fear in him. Since he was acting crazy, I had to act crazier."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!