Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Scandal Recap: Fitz and Mellie Plan Her Political Future as the Show Takes on Ferguson
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- Harrison Ford Suffered 'Bad Laceration' to Scalp in Plane Crash, Says Eyewitness
- Twitter Flooded with Show of Support for Harrison Ford After Plane Crash
- Aviation Expert on Harrison Ford's Crash Landing: 'Everything He Did Was Perfect'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 16, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 12
The Big Diamond Caper of Larcenous Lou Brock
One of nine children, Brock grew up in Monroe, La. and spent three years as a math major at Southern University, before a $30,000 bonus from the Chicago Cubs lured him away in 1961. Once traded to St. Louis in 1964, he became what he was not in Chicago—a consistent hitter, an acceptable outfielder and an unnervingly clever base runner. This year, even though he is slowing down, he says his knowledge of pitchers more than makes up for the lost speed.
Off the field, he has met with mixed success. He was involved in an auto dealership that folded four years ago, and he made a TV commercial for a brand of chocolates that was ordered off the air by the Federal Trade Commission. (The FTC said that eating the candies might make people fat, instead of making them as fast as Brock, as the commercial suggested.) Other later ventures have been more successful. He owns a thriving florist shop and is associated with a sneaker manufacturer, to whom he sold a design for a special sole that gives powerful lateral traction—just what a thief needs for a quick getaway.
March 05, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!