Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,168 covers and 54,870 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- North Carolina Churchgoers Indicted for Allegedly Kidnapping and Beating Gay Congregation Member
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Find Out How Channing Tatum Can Help You Appear On Stage at the Oscars
- Plus-Size Blogger Asks 21 Countries to Make Her 'Beautiful' with Photoshop
- FROM EW: The Simpsons – 25 Best. Episodes. Ever.
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Wednesday December 17, 2014 09:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 23, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 13
How Do You Tell This Kid to Go to Bed?
Phillip, now 11, is a black belt in karate. He earned his rating two years ago, becoming one of the two youngest Americans to do so, and since then he has kicked and chopped his way through more than 15 tournaments, placing first in most of them despite his slight 50-inch-tall, 55-pound frame.
The son of a wealthy plastic surgeon, Phillip was so short when he began karate that he couldn't jump high enough to kick the practice bag. Gradually he improved, taking on bigger and bigger opponents, until one day he toppled his six-foot instructor.
Now teaching his own karate class for children, Phillip has become something of a legend in his hometown of Encino, Calif. But he shrugs off his celebrity philosophically. "If you do something famous, you become somebody famous," he says.
Phillip's lethal kicks have landed him several lucrative TV jobs, including the role of Cha-Ka the monkey this summer on NBC's Land of the Lost. But being a pint-sized karate star has its drawbacks, and Phillip constantly finds himself sidestepping challenges from foolish boys who want to see just how tough he is. "I only fight," he wisely says, "if someone does something bad—to my brother, sister or me."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!