Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Madonna Longs for 'Days of Innocence' with Son Rocco as Custody Battle Rages on: 'How I Miss This Time'
- Read the Cover Story: Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Dad Alive
- Sacha Baron Cohen Shocks Again! Shows Brothers Grimsby Clip Too Graphic for TV to Jimmy Kimmel Live! Audience
- Khloé Kardashian and Lamar Odom Seen Together for the First Time Since Accident on Their Way to N.Y.C
- FROM EW: Ryan Reynolds Says X-Men Origins: Wolverine Was a 'Frustrating Experience'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 23, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 26
An Officer Is Hit with a Pie as a Joke: the Navy Doesn't Laugh
The trial nearly brought back burlesque. In his defense, Louie claimed that he was merely relying on a time-honored technique to boost morale which had been sagging since his battalion, recently returned from six months in the backwoods of Puerto Rico, received orders for a remote island in the Indian Ocean. To prove its point, the defense called an "expert" witness—Soupy Sales of TV renown, who has himself been the target of some 19,000 pies. Pie-throwing, Soupy testified, is a "harmless joke meant to entertain and amuse."
Failing to see the humor of the situation, the five-member military court docked Louie $400, restricted him to the base for two months and busted him to the lowest possible rank. As if that were not punishment enough, even Louie's technique came in for criticism—and from his own expert witness. Safely off the stand, Sales was asked whether Louie should really have thrown the chocolate pie. "No," replied Sales, a former Navy man. "That shot called for lemon meringue."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!