Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,189 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- So Fetch: We Need These Mean Girls–Inspired Candies
- Read the Cover Story: Meet the American Heroes Who Stopped French Train Attack
- Jennifer Garner 'Happy to Get Back' to L.A. and Kids – with Ben Affleck Living Down the Street
- Princess Diana's Death 18 Years Ago Today: PEOPLE's Royals Reporters Share the Tragedy and Chaos of That Awful Day
- Miley Cyrus Totally Out-Miley'ed Herself When It Came to Her Hair Accessories
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 23, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 26
An Officer Is Hit with a Pie as a Joke: the Navy Doesn't Laugh
The trial nearly brought back burlesque. In his defense, Louie claimed that he was merely relying on a time-honored technique to boost morale which had been sagging since his battalion, recently returned from six months in the backwoods of Puerto Rico, received orders for a remote island in the Indian Ocean. To prove its point, the defense called an "expert" witness—Soupy Sales of TV renown, who has himself been the target of some 19,000 pies. Pie-throwing, Soupy testified, is a "harmless joke meant to entertain and amuse."
Failing to see the humor of the situation, the five-member military court docked Louie $400, restricted him to the base for two months and busted him to the lowest possible rank. As if that were not punishment enough, even Louie's technique came in for criticism—and from his own expert witness. Safely off the stand, Sales was asked whether Louie should really have thrown the chocolate pie. "No," replied Sales, a former Navy man. "That shot called for lemon meringue."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!