Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Fatal Victim of Hoboken Train Crash Identified as 34-Year-Old Married Mother Fabiola Bittar de Kroon
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Teresa Giudice Says Husband Joe Has Lost 35 Lbs. in Prison by Doing '1,000 Sit-Ups a Day'
- Ozzy Osbourne's Ex-Mistress Michelle Pugh Files Complaint Against His Daughter Kelly for Allegedly Targeting Her for 'Financial Gain'
- FROM EW: Inside Maren Morris' Country Revolution
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 30, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 27
The Man Who Heaped the Land with Beauty
Hirshhorn's glee was understandable. The unveiling came eight years after President Lyndon Johnson gratefully accepted Hirshhorn's gift to the nation of 2,000 sculptures—the largest private sculpture collection in the world—and more than 4,000 paintings, all valued at some $100 million. The gift, including masterworks by such titans as Daumier, Rodin, Matisse, Alexander Calder, Jackson Pollock and Henry Moore, is by far the largest benefaction by any collector in history.
Before the 5'4" patron stepped onto a champagne crate to acknowledge the opening of Gordon Bunshaft's granite doughnut of a museum, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, U.S. ambassador to India and chairman of the museum's board of trustees, summed up the sentiment in Washington: "The level of taste, energy and chutzpah shown by Hirshhorn in assembling the collection is miraculous."
Yet steeped in years and wealth and honors as he is, Hirshhorn's gargantuan passion to hoard beauty seems unabated. He has recently acquired sculptures by Nevelson and Calder, among others, to augment the 6,000 items still stored in warehouses. Says Hirshhorn offhandedly: "I'm always picking up odds and ends."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!