Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Parent, Niece Arrested After 'Ambush' Attack on Middle School Teacher in New York
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Jason Hoppy's Lawyer Responds To Bethenny Frankel's 'Homeless' Comment
- Former Voice Stars Wish Blake Shelton Well Before Sunday's ACMs (VIDEO)
- Jaden Smith Turns Heads at Coachella with His Ever-Evolving Style
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 30, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 27
The Man Who Heaped the Land with Beauty
Hirshhorn's glee was understandable. The unveiling came eight years after President Lyndon Johnson gratefully accepted Hirshhorn's gift to the nation of 2,000 sculptures—the largest private sculpture collection in the world—and more than 4,000 paintings, all valued at some $100 million. The gift, including masterworks by such titans as Daumier, Rodin, Matisse, Alexander Calder, Jackson Pollock and Henry Moore, is by far the largest benefaction by any collector in history.
Before the 5'4" patron stepped onto a champagne crate to acknowledge the opening of Gordon Bunshaft's granite doughnut of a museum, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, U.S. ambassador to India and chairman of the museum's board of trustees, summed up the sentiment in Washington: "The level of taste, energy and chutzpah shown by Hirshhorn in assembling the collection is miraculous."
Yet steeped in years and wealth and honors as he is, Hirshhorn's gargantuan passion to hoard beauty seems unabated. He has recently acquired sculptures by Nevelson and Calder, among others, to augment the 6,000 items still stored in warehouses. Says Hirshhorn offhandedly: "I'm always picking up odds and ends."
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!