Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Watch Maroon 5, 5SOS Pharrell & Gwen Stefani Perform at the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Kate Upton Tells Boyfriend 'You're Welcome' for Her Sexiness
- PEOPLE Magazine Awards: Watch Mindy Kaling and Chris Messina's Hot Moment! (VIDEO)
- Photo Proof That Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Lopez Never (Ever!) Age
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 05:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 30, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 27
He Doesn't Win Friends—Just the World Series
If this be madness, there is method in it. Finley has outraged his fellow owners and exasperated his players, but the A's won their third straight World Series, the longest string of championships since the 1949-1953 Yankees.
"I didn't go into baseball to win any popularity contests," Finley says. "There is only one person I have to satisfy: me."
At 56, Finley, head of a Chicago insurance company, is eminently satisfied. He feels no ill effects from his August 1973 heart attack. His chief complaint is that his wife of 33 years has sued him for divorce. "They tell me now that it's better the second time around," Finley says. "I'm still hoping we can get back together."
He may win back his wife, but not baseball's other moguls. At the owners' annual winter meeting, he won permission to test his orange ball. But his suggestion to make three balls a walk was turned down. Afterwards he mused: "I don't want to criticize the other owners. But we in baseball could solve our problems overnight by getting more action into the game and these crazy bastards aren't smart enough to realize it. That's why at the meeting I pound the table and tell them, 'If you guys had brains in your heads, you'd be idiots.' That gets their attention."
No doubt about that.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!