Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM FORTUNE: The Internet Wants to Know Why Donald Trump Keeps Sniffling
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Trump Blames Clinton for Everything! Donald Goes on the Attack as Hillary Accuses Him of Saying 'Crazy Things'
- 'I Don't Know If I Have Enough Wine for This': The Best Social Media Reactions to the Clinton-Trump Presidential Debate
- Fourteen Months After Florida Teen Disappears at Sea, Mother Posts Touching Tribute on Instragram
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 30, 1974
- Vol. 2
- No. 27
In the Year of Political Women, Hers Was Biggest Name of All
It was no feminist fluke. An advocate of women's rights without being an ardent liberationist, Mrs. Grasso (she prefers it to Ms.) capitalized on a popularity built up during a 22-year political career which included two terms in Congress. She was not, she insists, a "women's candidate." "I was the people's candidate," she says, "and the results have sustained me." (She won by a 200,000-vote margin.) "I would hope that whatever qualities I have would be a credit to women as well as to the human race—of which I am also a part."
Thus far, her admirable disclaimer has been largely ignored. The novelty of Mrs. Grasso's victory and the curiosity that surrounds it have placed her, however unwillingly, in the ranks of women basketball players, forklift operators and telephone splicers. The feminists want to lionize her, homemakers want to know how she cooks spaghetti (she doesn't), and everyone is curious about Mr. Grasso (he's a retired school principal). Naturally she already is being mentioned as vice-presidential timber, despite the fact that she doesn't inherit the governor's office until January 8. In the new math of the new politics, Mrs. Grasso would, the pols agree, add "balance" to a Democratic ticket.
September 24, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!