Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- House of Cards Star Reveals How to Know When a Character Will Be Killed Off
- Read the Cover Story: Meet Kelly Clarkson's Baby Girl!
- Christopher Plummer Explains Why He Skipped the Oscars: 'It Was a Tribute to Julie Andrews'
- Lara Logan Hospitalized for Internal Bleeding
- Eddie Redmayne as a Woman: Photo Shows Actor as Transgender Pioneer Lili Elbe
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 13, 1975
- Vol. 3
- No. 1
A Famous Cop Takes Over in Washington
Last month, Cullinane's attention to the little details of police work paid off again. Known as "Wonder Boy" for his rapid rise within the department, the 20-year veteran was named the city's chief of police. It was a popular appointment. Despite local pressures for a black chief—70 percent of the city's residents and more than one third of its police force are black—"Cully" was the easy favorite in a recent rank-and-file vote to replace retiring chief Jerry Wilson. Although the vote was not binding on Mayor Walter Washington, it was a measure of confidence that Cullinane welcomed. (As for little Allen, he is now 19, and his family has moved to California.)
Cully is a third-generation Irish cop. "I've never wanted to be anything else," he says. "It's a family tradition." His father walked a Washington beat for 34 years, and his grandfather and several granduncles also wore the shield. Long a believer in the value of the foot patrolman, Cullinane's first act as chief was to order his legion of motorscooter cops to start hoofing it half the time. "People in the community," says Cully, "don't feel the police understand their problems if they're driving around all the time."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!