Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Watch Britney Spears and James Corden Sing 'Toxic' in New Carpool Karaoke Teaser
- Read the Cover Story: The Final Five: Their Amazing Journey!
- Alabama Recall Their Early Days Bonding Over Baseball, Cheap Guitars and a Scuffy Pair of Sneakers
- EpiPen Maker Under Fire After Hiking Price of Live-Saving Injector to $500
- Married at First Sight's Lillian Vilchez on Why She Cried After Sex: 'I Had a Freak-Out Moment'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 17, 1975
- Vol. 3
- No. 10
Give Me Some Skin Is the New Slogan at Synanon
That day all 10 men in the kitchen construction crew, bowing to the traditional method of discipline at Synanon, scraped themselves bald. "If I'm employing that many idiots," said the 62-year-old Dederich, looking around him, "then I must be an idiot myself." So saying, he shaved his own craggy dome. Getting into the spirit, all 200 men at Synanon followed suit. A few days later, the women at Tomales Bay met to discipline a female member who had broken the tough rules of the half-way house. "If she were a man," said Dederich, "she'd have to shave her head." So the guilty member did.
At this point a strange possession seemed to take hold: All the women, in what they called a gesture of solidarity, began clipping and shaving one another. At Synanons in Oakland, Santa Monica, San Francisco and in the Sierra Nevadas, the membership heard the news and joined in. Within three hours that day, 500 women became skinheads, including Dederich's own wife, Betty. "You gotta let the broads do what they want," grumped Dederich.
"Wonderful and sensual," explained one woman, her pate gleaming. "We have stopped kissing hello. Now we just pat heads."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!