Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Love Notes and Secret Promises: Why Bachelorette Star Kaitlyn Says Shawn 'Was Always the One'
- The Style Top 5: Reese Witherspoon Channels Elle Woods,
Steal the Styles from Wet Hot American Summer and More
- Joe Biden, Urged by Dying Son, Will Decide White House Run by Summer's End
- Newly Single Miranda Lambert Has Girls Night with Shania Twain: 'Music Is Medicine'
- Lady Gaga Surprises Tony Bennett Onstage with a Massive Cake for His 89th Birthday
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 30, 1975
- Vol. 3
- No. 25
Marie Farrell (right) finds it hard to believe. "Here I am, a young black woman with no political influence or important friends, in one of the most powerful jobs in the city." The city is Detroit, her hometown; the job, auditor general. In that capacity Farrell, 27, watchdogs an $800 million-plus municipal budget—a far cry from her work as a supermarket cashier, which paid her way through Wayne State University as a math major. "I looked around me and all the women were bookkeepers, the men accountants. The difference? The men were making a lot more money."
After apprenticing in a private firm, Farrell, in 1972, became the first black female certified as a public accountant in the state of Michigan. She was elected by the city council to her present $37,000-a-year post over six male candidates in April. Divorced and the mother of a 3-year-old daughter, she is no party-line feminist. "I was so busy doing the things I wanted to do—liberating myself—that I didn't realize the movement was going on."
August 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!